Friday, August 14, 2009

Things That Have Been Ruined For Me Recently

1. The song "Like A Virgin"
Yesterday, one of the ladies at work was trying to jam one more file into a UPS box. I innocently asked, "Can you get it in?" She began singing the famous Madonna song, then declared "It's been a while since I was a virgin!"
It's interesting how once adults start viewing YOU as an adult, they are so willing to share things with you that they wouldn't have dreamed of saying when you were an adult - but in college. Welcome to the real world, baby.

2. Marriage
I used to tell (most of) my guy friends that we'd probably get married one day. Either because we got along so well or because I needed a safety net - it didn't matter, I was marrying one or all of them. However, recently a close friend of mine got engaged to an old friend of mine, and now I feel like I can't treat marriage as a joke anymore. Apparently it's legit to be 22 and about to be married. Makes sense; we're trying to act like real adults now, why not try our hands at a real institution? But so this makes marriage very real and present to me now, and I can't just tell F "yeah, we'll get married someday, it's cool." Further complicating my stand-by joke is my male friends' significant others. It's hard to joke with a fellow adult that we'll get married when a girlfriend is standing right there and we're all in our 20s and marriage really is right around the corner.

3. My birthday
June 25th will forever be remembered as Michael Jackson's Deathday. It's not fair. June 25th was my birthday long before Jacko decided to kick the bucket.

That's all for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment